Forum:The family Uncyclomedia needs help
|Forum: Home > The family Uncyclomedia needs help|
There are days prometando is a solution of server problems and to date nothing has been done. In all uncys the same problem of slow away users and has a general appearance of all uncys are growing at a very slow pace. Just to cite one example, the Desciclopédia was recorded a massive trail users leaving an average of issues like Desgalipedia and Oncyclopedia or other uncyclopedias.
Another point is the failure of the outcome of the vote on holding a mirror uncyclopedias considered space on our servers. I say failure by the favorable vote was the elimination of them and there are exactly three days I saw this mirror yet operational. Finally, the abandonment of small uncyclopedias at the mercy of attacks of vandalism and spambots became worrisome to this house.
I do not know the situation of Simple English, and Oncy, which usually appear at times. But repairing a vote on the matter in our Brazilian sister to leave the Uncyclomedia and embrace Wikia and then immediately be suspended due to problems of slowness becomes disappointing when a month ago has been said about Sophia and repair parts for sale repair the others.
However, the days pass like the wind. Since April 7, last in the sacred Desgalipedia editable dial, only to see it. Discussions and more discussions about it and nothing happens, our sisters of Wikia, believe that the problem is too serious and unresolved. Users of DP between votes and offer advice on raising funds for the purchase and maintenance of UnMeta.
I wish they would come here and propose that. This idea comes from the first server problems still in the year 2007. At that time the uncys were visited by only a minority of users who do not edit longer or is imprisoned in their lives filled with everyday concerns. Only Carlb broke the silence when he wanted to tell you about some change. But UnMeta was wholly a stranger to these users.
I mean, the uncys were all isolated from each other and I refer to ourselves, family Uncyclomedia. Until then the contacts were very rare among users of different uncyclopedias. What you see today is a very different reality, beyond the Desciclopédia (the largest among our family), Desgalipedia, Oncyclopedia, Ikkepedia are the few that maintains minimum editing using the contact link as UnMeta.
Our Japanese sister is the one who rarely appears here. Others, such as our sisters and Hungarian Finnish only has to contact himself Carlb for any kind of problem. I think it's time to propose a greater unity among all communities together to confront this problem and try to unite. Remember that there are other communities that Uncyclomedia though they belong to and use our servers, and how Illogicopedias Wikinet, are also suffering the same problems and we should participate in more activity.
I hope that this invitation is a response to both downtime of many avid users for a response to the serious times we face. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 2,353 preppiedits 23:22, 11 June 2012 (UTC)
- And what do you propose? That we hold our hands togehter and sing God save the servers? Cthulhu.fhtagn (talk) 17:00, 12 June 2012 (UTC)
The three main servers were moved in late April; when they were put back online, one (sophia, Tyan Transport GT24) was not working because of a power supply problem. The server would start, run for one second and then turn off. That much was fixed by May 25 (power supply replaced) and I have also been attempting to obtain a fourth server. I had purchased a used (off-lease) server in Toronto on May 18 but have had problems with that computer (disk I/O errors, missing rails, damaged or incorrectly-installed heat sinks) and returned it to the vendor, ordering another server. The new server was sent to the data centre yesterday but is not yet online. Certainly I do not like that the sites are so slow and am trying to make them faster. carlb (at) kingston.net 03:01, 14 June 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks you posted this message here too. I wanted to communicate about this on this forum page, but the site had had some problems | 20:28, 14 June 2012 (UTC)
- I would like to thank you for the response and also sorry for opening a topic so upset about it. Unfortunately, the problems of these servers are already leaving our sites and other dead-time has become a problematic situation to monitor communities. In the case of DP, the vote on a possible move to Wikia was discontinued until they restore minimal conditions for its completion. In other communities, the pace of editions keeps constant at least one new article per day.
- However, at other times I remember the discussion of creating a fund for the purchase and maintenance of these servers in our Brazilian sister. And I would like to discuss this problem that is common to all our communities. Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 2,353 preppiedits 17:03, 16 June 2012 (UTC)
The sad fact is: Desciclopédia is in crisis. Instability in the site makes great users withdraw from edit FOREVER. This is terrible in the long term. Not be surprised if one year from now a site that was supposed to be the largest in Brazil remain abandoned without administration as a ghost wiki. ABDUL ALHAZRED Salah, Zakāh, Ramadan, Hajj 05:25, 17 June 2012 (UTC)
- PS. By the way, I can't edit in Desciclopedia I don't know why. ABDUL ALHAZRED Salah, Zakāh, Ramadan, Hajj 05:27, 17 June 2012 (UTC)
- The truth is that since yesterday returned to worsen again the servers. Nor is there a site conditions to be stable for over 30 hours. It is necessary, a satisfactory solution at this time as well as continuing to trail users there is also the creation of plagiarized versions of DP on Wikia. I honestly wanted to comment on that on another occasion called Renan Jackson has created versions of the wierdpedia with texts and templetes of DP and other uncys on the wiki. For some time I have seen what happens there. The user is that of Rio de Janeiro. And I wonder, what prevents our wikis, when they turn ghost sites on Wikia plagiarized content without our consent? Rhubella Marie, the rat sockpreppie 2,353 preppiedits 20:35, 19 June 2012 (UTC)
- I don't blame this Renan Jackson, at least he can edit... After all, a wiki with only one user is merely a blog (to me), and I don't care about blogs. ABDUL ALHAZRED Salah, Zakāh, Ramadan, Hajj 00:35, 21 June 2012 (UTC)
What about donations?
Hey Carlb. What do you think about get some donations (we can do it on Desciclopédia's Facebook fanpage, w/ about 40,000 fans, askin' day and night why Desciclopédia "is over") and buy you a new server (or servers) or some hardware... stuff?